- The Islanders are 2-17-2 since December 1, picking up 6 points in 21 games.
- They are 1-10-2 in their division.
- Rick DiPietro is just about lost for the season, and Joey MacDonald, his backup, is also out, which means Yann Danis is your starting goalie.
- The team and fans were crushed to learn that Wade Dubielewicz was claimed off waivers by Columbus, ending his return bid.
- Chris Campoli became the latest to be sidelined by injury.
- Newsday identified the person behind Kansas City's bid to get a pro sports team, and he's considered a more powerful figure in sports than Gary Bettman. Wonderful.
- The team has moved its training camp to Saskatchewan, which is a lot closer to K.C. than Uniondale.
Bad news, right? Well, please consider this as well:
- In this awful string the team is struggling through, 15 of the 12 games were decided by two goals or less, including eight one-goal games, so the Isles aren't getting blown off the ice despite being severely shorthanded by injury (and, yes, a talent gap that was there at the season's start).
- The Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl.
Yes, the Cardinals, a team that hasn't won a football title in more than 60 years, a team that has been a laughingstock for decades, is in the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
If the Cardinals can make the Super Bowl -- and don't be shocked if they win -- then anything can happen. So keep the faith.